The beautiful island and sea view from the old castle in Tiernaur, Mulranny, Co. Mayo.
© Aisling Jennings Photography
These photos are copyrighted and are not to be used without my permission
These pictures show some of the fishing boats at Lough Cullen,Pontoon, Co. Mayo. Also some links, chains and up close shots to get a different look.
Lough Conn joins Lough Cullen at lovely Pontoon, which is famous for its salmon pool at Pontoon Bridge. Tucked away under the shadow of Nephin Mountains and surrounded by forests and sandy beaches and bays, Lough Conn extends nine miles from north to south and varies in width from two to six miles.
Trout fishing on Lough Cullen generally starts around the 17th March with the trout feeding voraciously on freshwater shrimp, snails and hoglice. Given some mild weather, large chironomids, colloquially known as duckfly appear. Trout feed on all stages of duckfly hatches.
Mayflies start appearing around the end of April and, from then to the end of June, some exciting fishing can be had. All Mayfly patterns fished wet work well and some excellend sport can be enjoyed with dry patterns. From 1st July to the end of the season, very little fishing is carried out on Cullen because of the weed and algae growth due to enrichment.
This is the 76ft replica model of the RMS Titanic which was built in Lahardane Co. Mayo in Lough Conn behinde Addergoole graveyard on April 14th 2012.
LAHARDANE –The story of the building of Titanic is told in Belfast. The story of mass emigration from Ireland, of which Titanic was one small part, is told in Cobh, formerly Queenstown. But the story of the people – laborers, farmers and tradespeople– who bought passage on Titanic to start new lives in America is told in the tiny County Mayo village of Lahardane, “Ireland’s Titanic Village.”
Fourteen people from Addergoole, the parish that includes Lahardane, booked passage to New York on Titanic. When the ship went down, 11 of them died, including the pregnant wife and sister of John Bourke, who refused to leave him. News of the loss plunged the village into shock and despair.
“It was the largest proportionate loss of life suffered by any community in the world,” says Dylan Nolan, public relations officer for the Addergoole Titanic Society.
The Western People newspaper of May 4, 1912, reported that the wake held for several of the Addergoole victims was “one of the saddest sights ever witnessed in the West of Ireland.” Photos of the victims were laid on the beds where they had slept the night before leaving home. “The wailing and moaning of the people was most distressing and would almost draw a tear from a stone,” the story said.
But, as decades passed, memories began to dim. Some of the families died out or moved from their home places, and their cottages fell into ruin. The Addergoole 14 were in danger of being lost again.
Most of the money for the memorials was donated privately, and most of the work in Lahardane was done by volunteers.
Restoration works began on the Manor in 1987 when it was acquired by the Kane family from Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. It took little more than a year , but when the Manor was finally completed in 1988 Adare Manor as a hotel was now a world class home away from home. As a 5-star luxury hotel, the manor boasts such guests as ex-US President and First Lady, Bill and Hillary Clinton.
The Robert Trent Jones, Sr. Golf Course was opened in August 1995. Adare Manor attracts anglers from around the globe on account of its excellent trout fishing in the River Maigue.
Also on the Manor property sit two intriguing ruins; The Saint Nicholas Church and Chantry Chapel. Both date back to the 12th century. St. Nicholas is the only accessible ruin, as the Chapel sits in the middle of the golf course and casual foot traffic is not allowed.
One of the more intriguing features of Adare Manor is the lettered text carved into the front of the south parapet which reads – “Except the Lord build the house, then labour is but lost that built it.”
St Patrick’s Church Newport Co Mayo
Newport has a very striking railway bridge (no longer used for rail carriage) like an aqueduct which is commonly referred to as “The Viaduct”, which, with the Roman Catholic church on top of the hill, dominate the town and create a picturesque appearance.
St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, built in 1914 in the Irish Romanesque style by Rudolph M. Butler is so imposing that it is usually referred to as ‘Newport Cathedral’.
It has a magnificent stained glass east window of The Last Judgement, the last window completed by Harry Clarke in 1930.
The Black Oak River flows through the centre of the town and there are pleasant walking paths along its grassy banks through the Seven Arches Bridge as seen in my photographs.